HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One
Put speed and efficiency into play in your home office with the compact and reliable HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One. Highlights include a junk fax barrier1, a versatile glass surface for increased flexibility, and a 25-sheet automatic document feeder.
Handle the print cartridges
Before you replace or clean a print cartridge, you should know the part names and
how to handle the print cartridges.
Hold the print cartridges by their black plastic sides, with the label on top. Do not
touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles.
Note Handle the print cartridges carefully. Dropping or jarring cartridges can
cause temporary printing problems, or even permanent damage.
Replace the print cartridges
Follow these instructions when the ink level is low.
Note When the ink level for the print cartridge is low, a message appears on
your computer screen. You can also check the ink levels by using the software
installed with the HP All-in-One.
When you receive a low-ink warning message, make sure you have a replacement
print cartridge available. You should also replace the print cartridges when you see
faded text or if you experience print quality issues related to the print cartridges.
To replace the print cartridges
- Make sure the HP All-in-One is on.
Caution If the HP All-in-One is off when you open the print cartridge door to access the print cartridges, the HP All-in-One will not release the cartridges for changing. You might damage the HP All-in-One if the print cartridges are not docked safely on the right side when you try to remove them.
- Open the print cartridge door. The print carriage moves to the center of the HP All-in-One.
- Wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a print cartridge to release it.
If you are replacing the tri-color print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the
slot on the left.
If you are replacing the black or photo print cartridge, remove the print cartridge
from the slot on the right.
Pull the print cartridge toward you out of its slot.
If you are removing the black print cartridge in order to install the photo print
cartridge, store the black print cartridge in the print cartridge protector or an
airtight plastic container.
If you are removing the print cartridge because it is low or out of ink, recycle the
print cartridge. The HP Inkjet Supplies Recycling Program is available in many
countries/regions, and lets you recycle used print cartridges free of charge.
Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch
only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.
Caution Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles.
Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical
- 7. Slide the new print cartridge forward into the empty slot.
Then gently push on upper part of the print cartridge forward until it clicks into the socket. If you are installing the tri-color print cartridge, slide it into the left slot.
If you are installing a black or photo print cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- 8. Close the print cartridge door.
- 9. If the print cartridge alignment sheet prints, load it on the left front corner of the glass with the top of the page to the left.
- 10. Press the Scan button.
The HP All-in-One aligns the print cartridges. Recycle or discard the print cartridge alignment sheet.
Align the print cartridges
The HP All-in-One prompts you to align cartridges every time you install or replace a
print cartridge. You can also align the print cartridges at any time from the control
panel or by using the software you installed with the HP All-in-One. Aligning the print
cartridges ensures high-quality output.
Note If you remove and reinstall the same print cartridge, the HP All-in-One
will not prompt you to align the print cartridges. The HP All-in-One remembers
the alignment values for that print cartridge, so you do not need to realign the
To align newly installed print cartridges
- Make sure you have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray. The HP All-in-One prints a print cartridge alignment sheet.
Note If you have colored paper loaded in the input tray when you align the print cartridges, the alignment will fail. Load unused plain white paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.
- Load the print cartridge alignment sheet on the left front corner of the glass with the top of the page to the left.
- Press the Scan button. The HP All-in-One aligns the print cartridges. Recycle or discard the print cartridge alignment sheet.
Clean the print cartridges
Use this feature when the self-test report shows streaking, white lines through any of
the lines of color or when a color is muddy after installing a print cartridge for the first
time. Do not clean print cartridges unnecessarily, as this wastes ink and shortens the
life of the ink nozzles.
To clean the print cartridges from the HP Photosmart Software
- Load letter, A4, or legal unused plain white paper into the input tray.
- In the HP Solution Center, click Settings, point to Print Settings, and then click Printer Toolbox. Note You can also open the Printer Toolbox from the Print Properties dialog box. In the Print Properties dialog box, click the Services tab, and then click Service this device. The Printer Toolbox appears.
- Click the Device Services tab.
- Click Clean the Print Cartridges.
- Follow the prompts until you are satisfied with the quality of the output, and then click Done.
If copy or print quality still seems poor after you clean the print cartridges, try cleaning the print cartridge contacts before replacing the affected print cartridge.
To clean the print cartridges from the HP Photosmart Mac Software
- Load letter, A4, or legal unused plain white paper into the input tray.
- In the HP Photosmart Studio task bar, click Devices. The HP Device Manager window appears.
- Make sure the HP All-in-One is selected in the Devices pop-up menu.
- From the Information and Settings pop-up menu, choose Maintain Printer. The Select Printer window appears.
- If the Select Printer dialog box appears, choose the HP All-in-One, and then click Launch Utility. The HP Printer Utility window appears.
- Click Clean in the Configuration Settings Panel.
- Click Clean.
- Follow the prompts until you are satisfied with the quality of the output, and then close the HP Printer Utility.
If copy or print quality still seems poor after you clean the print cartridges, try
cleaning the print cartridge contacts before replacing the affected print cartridge.
Clean the print cartridge contacts
Clean the print cartridge contacts if you get repeated messages on your computer
screen prompting you to check a print cartridge after you already have cleaned or
aligned the print cartridges, or if the Check Print Cartridge light is blinking.
Before cleaning the print cartridge contacts, remove the print cartridge and verify that
nothing is covering the print cartridge contacts, then reinstall the print cartridge. If you
continue to get messages to check the print cartridges, clean the print cartridge
Make sure you have the following materials available:
- Dry foam rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that will not come apart or leave fibers.
Tip Coffee filters are lint-free and work well for cleaning print cartridges.
- Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the print cartridges). Caution Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the print cartridge contacts. These can damage the print cartridge or the HP All-in-One.
To clean the print cartridge contacts
- Turn on the HP All-in-One and open the print cartridge door. The print carriage moves to the center of the HP All-in-One.
- Wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, and then unplug the power cord from the back of the HP All-in-One.
- Lightly press down on the print cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out of the slot.
Note Do not remove both print cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each print cartridge one at a time. Do not leave a print cartridge outside the HP All-in-One for more than 30 minutes.
- Inspect the print cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.
- Dip a clean foam rubber swab or lint-free cloth into distilled water, and squeeze any excess water from it.
- Hold the print cartridge by its sides.
- Clean only the copper-colored contacts. Allow the print cartridges to dry for approximately ten minutes.
- Slide the print cartridge back into the slot. Push the print cartridge forward until it clicks into place.
- Repeat if necessary for the other print cartridge.
- Gently close the print cartridge door and plug the power cord into the back of the HP All-in-One.